Friday, March 30, 2012

FBFF for March 30th: One Time and One Time Only


Today�s FBFF questions deal with the �the one-time use phenomenon.�  Apparently, there have been quite a few posts around the blogosphere lately about only wearing something once and how a lot of bloggers are accused of this.  I had no idea this was even a thing, but do find both the phenomenon and the accusations interesting, so I�m pretty excited Katy Rose chose this as our top of discussion this week.  As always, my answers to the questions are below.

Are you a one-time wearer?

The short answer to this question is, sometimes, but never on purpose. 

The long answer is that because I thrift a lot of my clothes, I have a tendency to take chances with items of clothing that I wouldn�t buy if they were more than $5.00.  I try to wear everything I thrift at least once, but there are items I just can�t quite get to work for me that, after wearing once, get recycled to the thrift store or to friends.

Non-thrifted items are expected to work a lot harder in my closet given the fact that I (generally) spend more on them than thrifted items.  That�s not to say that I don�t have some pieces that work more than others.  For example, I wear my riding boots with greater regularity than my animal print wedge booties, but I�ve still worn the booties more than once.

Born Crown "Sosie" Boots


80%20 Animal Print Wedge Booties

Do you feel the need to purchase something new for an evening out or a special event?

Not to sound like a broken record, but the short answer to this question is also sometimes.

I have quite a few party dresses, many of them vintage, but I don�t always feel they�re right for an occasion.  I�d rather not buy something new for special events because those items often end up being ones that are only worn once, but, I like to be comfortable in what I�m wearing.  If I don�t feel like my outfit fits the occasion and the way I want to look that day, then I will look for something new.  I�m usually able to work with what I have though.

Re-mixing is something a lot of bloggers are proud of being able to accomplish - are you a re-mixing pro or do you shy away from posting items frequently? Why?

I�d say I�m semi-pro in terms of remixing.  I�m in the farm leagues, just waiting for the Yankees to take notice of my mad skills.  Really though, I do remix a lot of my clothes but don�t consider myself a pro because all of the outfits I create with an item often have a similar feel.  They�re different outfits, but they are often the same style; which I just realized isn�t necessarily bad because they�re all my style.

I, however, do shy away from wearing, and posting, items re-mixed too close together.  I usually try not to wear the same skirt, or blazer, or blouse in back-to-back weeks, but that doesn't always work out.  For example, I wore this mauve skirt last Wednesday and this Wednesday:

Last Wednesday with butterscotch

This Wednesday with more mauve

Shoes I couldn�t care less about; I�ll wear the same pair of shoes three times a week without any qualms (see Born Crown riding boots above). 

I also try not to wear the exact same outfit as I�ve worn before; I mean with every piece exactly the same.  At least that was true for my first year of blogging.  This year I think I might re-wear some of my favorite outfits, especially those from last year, because I hate to deprive myself of being happy and comfortable in my clothes just because I�ve already worn something once.  Also, sometimes I wake up late and it�d just be easier to recycle an outfit instead of racking my poor, tired brain to come up with something new.

Do you have a clothing budget or are you an impulse buyer?

A little of both.  I don�t have a clothing budget, per se, but I do plan what I�d like to buy for a season.  For every spring/summer and fall/winter, I write a list of what I perceive as holes in my closet.  The list contains anything from trends I�d like to try, like color-blocked pumps, to classics that I just don�t have, like a white dress.  These are items that I surf the web for periodically and specifically look for in brick-and-mortar stores.

That being said, I am also an impulse shopper, especially at thrift stores.  Most of the items that I thrift are not on my lists, but are just items that I think I might be able to do something with.  Or that it might be fun to try doing something with. 

Do you find yourself bored when reading a blog in which clothing items are often remixed and appear frequently?

No, not at all.  But, then again, I�m not sure I�d notice.  I don�t track what anyone else wears that closely.  If I do notice, it�s probably because it�s a piece I love on them and I�m happy to see it again.  At the very least, it�s probably a piece they love on themselves and who wouldn�t be happy to see someone wear what they love?

Want to read more on this topic?  Visit Katy Rose at Modly Chic for links to all the participants.

And have a wonderful weekend!

Gracey

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home